Well, mold can be a pain in the neck in every way! It not only gives your home an awful, musty odor, but it also poses a health risk.
If it is allowed to spread for an extended period of time, it can have a negative impact on the respiratory health of everyone who lives in your home.
It is an allergen that can wreak havoc on persons with asthma and lung disorders.
This is why you should get rid of mold as soon as possible. It will save you a lot of time and aggravation in the future.
But not sure how to remove mold properly? Here you can find simple steps for proper mold removal.
Eight Simple Steps for Effective Mold Removal
Step 1: Resolve the water issue. This will help to inhibit the spread of new mold spores.
Step 2: Isolate the area that has been contaminated. For both levels, close all doors and windows between the contaminated space and the rest of the house.
Cover all doorways and other openings with 6 mm polyethylene sheeting for cleanup. Duct tape the seams of the sheeting and slip gaps in the sheeting into the contaminated area.
Step 3: Keep dust at bay. This can be accomplished by spraying the contaminated areas.
Step 4: Take out all of the stuff. Remove any porous objects that are moist or moldy. If you’re not sure which materials to remove, consult mold removal service Atlanta GA.
Step 5: Materials should be placed in plastic bags. All damp and moldy things should be placed in plastic bags that are at least 6 mm thick, double-bagged, and tied shut.
After wiping the outside of the bags with a damp cloth and detergent solution before leaving the contaminated area, the bags can be disposed of as regular trash.
Step 6: Clean thoroughly. All non-porous materials, as well as moldy wood surfaces, must be cleaned. All moldy surfaces should be scrubbed with a wire brush before being wiped down with disposable wipes.
Step 7: Discard wipes in 6 mil polyethylene bags, double-bag, and tie closed to dispose of as ordinary trash. Finally, scrub any moldy surfaces with a damp cloth and detergent solution until all mold is gone, then rinse with clean water.
This requires use of a HEPA vacuum to vacuum all surfaces, followed by cleaning all surfaces with a damp cloth and/or mop and detergent solution. Wipes should be discarded as mentioned above.
Step 8: Test for visibility. There should be no visible contamination or debris in any location – no dust and dirt implies no mold.
To allow any remaining moisture to evaporate, clean items should be dried. Use fans, dehumidifiers, or elevate the indoor air temperature to speed up the drying process.
All materials should be replaced or repaired if they were moved.
When dealing with microscopic particles like mold spores, it’s critical to clean, clean, then clean some more in order to get the best results when removing mold from your house or company. Consider hiring mold removal service Atlanta GA for better results.
Handy Tips to Cleanup Mold Effectively
- Keep yourself safe. Protect your eyes, nose, mouth, and skin by using personal protection equipment (gloves, mask, goggles).
- Toss! Remove it from the equation! Anything that has been flooded and cannot be cleaned and dried thoroughly in the next 24 to 48 hours should be taken outside. Take images of items that have been discarded in order to file insurance claims.
- Don’t mix cleaning products. If you’re going to use cleaning products, don’t mix them together. Do not combine bleach and ammonia because poisonous gases will result.
- Use fans and dehumidifiers to eliminate moisture when electricity is safe to use.
- Let it breathe. When you’re working, open all the doors and windows you can, and leave as many as you can when you leave.
- Scrub the surfaces. Use water and a mild detergent to clean. Remove any visible mold. Dry as soon as possible.
- Rather than covering it, remove it. Mold will not be prevented by painting or caulking over it. Before you paint or caulk, be sure the water problem is totally resolved and all mold has been removed.
- Make it dry. Dry your house and everything in it as soon as possible – ideally within 24 to 48 hours.
Summing It Up
Mold may be a pain to deal with, to say the least. As soon as you see evidence of mold growth in your home, you should get rid of it.
A musty odor in your home or darkening surfaces are two examples. Mold may be a severe health hazard, and it can also cause the wooden portions of your house to rot.
So, it’s critical that you act quickly to get rid of it.
Here, you have it—the most essential steps for mold removal. The most crucial thing is to deprive the mold of moisture, which is necessary for its life.
As soon as you find any leaking pipes or taps, fix them. It will be well worth it in the long run.